12 May 2009

More Log Cabins

A few more samples of log cabin quilts I've done. The are relatively quick projects and get easier and quicker each time you make one. They are also endlessly customizable, so they don't get boring!


'Ivan T.T.' (top)
'Pink is for Portia' (bottom)

Two kid size quilts. Log cabins are easily adjusted to any size - just add or subtract blocks as needed!


'Arizona'

I love the pattern in this quilt. It's kind of Southwestern/Native American, and the dark blues really stand out against the lighter orange/peach tones. Larger quilts give you more options for patterns.

The hardest part in making a log cabin, for me, is picking out the fabric combinations. I have a difficult time deciding because up close some of the fabrics aren't necessarily the same tone. However, once the quilt is together in a cohesive whole, you can see that minor tonal variations don't seem to affect the overall appeal of the quilt. Granted, I'm not impartial, but what I'm trying to say is don't get too hung up on picking the exact, perfect matching fabrics. Pick things you like and try it out. The two kids quilts above were made from various fabrics I had leftover in my stash, so I definitely didn't buy them all at the same time or place with that intention of creating a quilt with them in a specific combination. I understand and have great respect for people who meticulously plan out their quilts, and sometimes I do that too. But it's also okay to just jump in and see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment