22 November 2010

Baby clothes.

And now for something completely different...

My husband and I recently made a huge decision. We are ready, really ready, to start a family. I don't want to get in to too many personal details - this isn't that kind of blog - but the short version is: we've decided to start adoption paperwork. We discussed adoption as a way to grow our family long before we got to the point where it was a viable option, and adoption was always a part of our family plan. We assumed we'd have some kind of blended family, and so far, that's still the "plan". Well, as much as anything like this can actually be planned. I'm sure any parent will tell you that once your child enters your life, all your carefully made "plans" fly right out the window. I can't wait!

So, we decided to jump in with both feet and start the adoption process. It takes a long time, and we're at the very beginning, but since it's something we always wanted to do, why not start now? There are myriad details left to work out. Private adoption vs. agency, International vs. domestic. Once we choose an agency and start the home study process, I think we'll have a more concrete plan about the wherefores and how-tos, and presumably, the social worker assigned to our case will help us figure those things out.

The crafter in me is already brainstorming themes for a child's room. Will it be elves and dwarves and dragons? Will it be Steampunk? Will it be wizards and witches and magic wands? So many options! In general, I love craft projects that revolve around kids - they are usually faster projects, though they can get really involved. But you can also explore a whole range of themes that is usually left out of adult projects - except maybe on Halloween.

It will likely be a year, or longer, before we bring home the new addition to our family, but you will start seeing a lot more craft projects geared towards children in the coming months. I'm trying to balance my unbridled enthusiasm and excitement with the reality check that this is a waiting game. But I am so excited to start this new chapter of our lives, and I wanted to tell the whole world. So, I figured I'd start with my little corner of the Internet. If anyone has been through the process or has some tips or advice to share, please feel free to contact me! I'd love to hear your story!

1 comment:

  1. Doctor Who. http://www.nerdist.com/2010/08/lil-doctors-cyberkids-da-da-daleks/

    (PS: Yay! Congrats!)

    ReplyDelete