12 November 2010

On patterns and editing.

I'll admit it. This is a pet peeve.

There are literally thousands of resources available to the home crafter nowadays. You can find patterns in practically any media imaginable, from the Internet (hello Ravelry!) to magazines to independently produced single patterns. And not just knitting patterns - sewing (make your own corset!), quilting, cross stitch, the list goes on and on. Given the number of free patterns available, and given that I am experienced enough to make my own pattern in most (but definitely not all) cases, when I buy a pattern and pay actual money for it, it better be 1) awesome (it is or I wouldn't have bothered to buy it) and 2) tech edited. Pay special attention to 2). We're going to be discussing this at some length.

I also have some very definite opinions about the price points of patterns, particularly knitting patterns. I generally feel that small or easily constructed things (unless it's something new and clever) should be less expensive than something large or complicated. A cowl pattern, for example, should not cost as much as a sweater pattern. Some of this opinion may be based on garment size, but in general, a cowl is a fairly simplistic garment while a sweater isn't. Having said that, the more I pay for a pattern, the higher my expectations in terms of both ease of understanding and overall correctness in terms of editing.

Now, having a few years of knitting under my belt, I am continually shocked by the lack of editing in patterns. If I pay $8 for a pattern - which is a lot, by the way, especially for a child's garment - I expect the pattern to be correct. I will temper this rant somewhat by saying that we are all human and make mistakes, and I am very accepting of people who sell patterns and post errata on their websites. Errata = good. No errata plus a pattern full of mistakes? Bad. Very bad. If I purchase a pattern that is either unintelligible or poorly tech edited - or ::gasp:: both! - then not only am I pissed, but I am telling everyone I know who knits about it and I am never buying a pattern from that "designer" again. Not the quotation marks there. It's on purpose.

I recently purchased such a pattern - an absolutely adorable pattern that I was willing to shell out $8 for - rife with errors (sizing crochet hooks in cm rather than mm, incorrect stitch counts, inconsistent decreasing throughout the garment). Because the "designer" was kind enough to exchange several emails with me to try to help me understand her pattern, I won't name names, but all in all, while I find the garment to be absolutely adorable and unique, I will never purchase another pattern from her.

With an eye to the path ahead, where I will likely be coming up with my own patterns and designs, I am particularly critical of mistakes in patterns. And I'm becoming a much more discerning buyer of patterns as well. If I've downloaded a free pattern, I'm not going to complain too much. It was free after all. But if I pay you for a pattern, I expect you to have had it test knitted (or crocheted) by a third party, and edited for content! I mean seriously! You can't have your neighbor or sister or husband or whatever read your pattern to look for basic typos?! Come on people.

I am particularly frustrated by this lack of care recently because of said aforementioned pattern, but I really think it's a problem in general now that we have the Internet and Etsy and the like. Anyone can release anything under "Joe Smith Designs!" and get at least one or two people to purchase it. But I think it's incumbent upon all of us as consumers and crafters to demand better tech editing and to warn each other about bad designers. Or "designers" rather. Admittedly, I'm withholding the name of the designer I had an issue with, out of courtesy because she was so quick to respond to my queries. And also because I think that the Internet is a bit dangerous in that respect, in that you can basically anonymously slander anyone with or without just cause. Got a bit sidetracked there, but seriously, designers, edit your stuff!!

What do you think? Am I alone in this frustration or has everyone experienced the unedited pattern fiasco at some point?

No comments:

Post a Comment